Translate

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Did you know that day care is not the norm?

Day care is not the norm!?!? I had no clue!!

Yesterday was mind-blowing for me when I found out that according to the United States Census Bureau that 74.6% of non-school-age children are taken care of by family. (non-school-age children means children under the age of five/ not yet in kindergarten)

So, the majority of children in the U.S. are taken care of by family? Yes.

Only 25.4% of non-school-age children in the U.S. are cared for on a full-time basis by someone other than family.
  • 15.1% of children are in day care
  • 8% of children are in-home day care
  • 2.4% of children are with nannies
For more information on this topic check-out "7 Myths of Working Mothers - Why Children and (Most) Careers Just Don't Mix" by Suzanne Venker, forwarded by Dr. Laura.

I just started reading the above mentioned book and these are some of my favorite lines:

"Accepting motherhood as a full-time job does not mean women must be completely out of the workforce for eighteen years. It just means that for eighteen[+] years they will have to be creative in fitting other work around their primary obligation to their children. "

"We simply must get rid of the idea that women can balance full-time careers with motherhood. Instead, we should encourage women to embrace motherhood and career separately, to plan their lives in such a way that they will be able to succeed in both of these pursuits, though at separate times." Sounds like the story of my life, my 20s were all about career success and now my 30s are turning out to be all about motherhood.

"Women now spend all of their time and energy - all of it - preparing for a life at the office rather than for a life at home." I've lived this, from an early age I prepared for school and/ or work and not a whole lot for motherhood. This point is something for me to think about as I get ready to raise my daughter.

As I keep reading this book I am sure I'll have more to share, stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't know that either...how interesting!

    ReplyDelete