Translate

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Resume Help Results and Much Much More

Wanted to give everyone an update on the results of my Resume Help offer. I received 15 resumes from four states and one commonwealth. Resumes came from Texas, Florida, Illinois, Ohio and Puerto Rico. Senders included family, friends, friend of friends, family of friends and an online stranger - new friend. Professions varied and included financial analysts, pharmacists, lawyers, engineers, accountants, etc.. Experience levels ranged from college students to those with over ten years of experience.

Thank you to all who sent in your resumes for review. I enjoyed helping you and hope you found my critique to be beneficial. I also wish you the best in your career.

My husband, Rick, and I have been thinking that once things settle down after having our baby girl and moving into our new house I should perhaps start up a part-time consulting business on the side, specifically from home and Starbucks while being a full-time mom. Others have suggested this to us as well and seem to not only be interested in resume help but also career counseling, mock interviews, presentation skills, networking and Myers-Briggs.

In preparation for this entrepreneurial possibility I am working on completing my recertification credits for my SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) so that there will not be a lapse in my three-year certification cycle. I'm taking my first class, in what feels like a very long time, tomorrow on the topic of "Emotional Intelligence: Useful Tools for the HR Practitioner." I also need to come up with a business plan, thank God Rick has his MBA from SMU and I need to figure out my rates for specific services. My personal trainer says I should at least charge what he charges me i.e. $60/ hour. ;) We'll see. The Wall Street Journal published an article this week saying that resume-writing services are ranging from $100 to $2,000 which seems ridiculously steep to me. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704868604575433791872911672.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_careerjournal)

Aside from offering career development services I plan to finally write my first book. It's been on my mind since elementary school and I have talked about it from time to time over the years with close family and friends. I've even come up with an outline, stories to include, dedication and title. It's a father daughter book of sorts (oh how I love my Daddy and all that he's taught me - especially about guys) and well since I am about to have a baby girl with and for my husband, Rick, how fitting is this topic right now in not only my life but our family's life. Perhaps this is the time/ God's time... Maybe, I'll write it in time for Father's day as a gift to my Dad and Rick. Anyone know an editor? And/ or publisher? If so, send them my way.

Until then, for now, time to get ready for baby girl Macias. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment